Friday 25 January 2013

...and a Felt Bookmark

As I mentioned before, I made some homemade pressies for Christmas.  As they are no longer a secret (!!), I thought I'd share this felt bookmark that I made for my Dad.



Materials
  • Felt (fabric and decorative shapes)
  • Ribbon
  • Cardboard
  • Embroidery Thread
  • Glue
  • Scissors
  • Pinking Shears
I wanted my final bookmark to be 6cm x 14cm, so started by cutting out a rectangle of cardboard of 4cm x 12cm (to give a 1cm border all around). Then I cut out two rectangles of felt (6cm x 14cm each) - I went for a different colour for front & back.

Next step was to glue the cardboard onto the felt, along with the ribbon.  Then glue the other piece of felt on top, to create a 'sandwich' (this is the technical term!)

To give it a bit of definition, I used embroidery thread to stitch around the edges with a 1cm border (following the line of cardboard).
Front....
and back....
To decorate, I used some leaf shaped card toppers and also used pinking shears along the sides....  Here's the final version!

I was really pleased with the way it turned out and I may have to make myself one to use with the craft books I was given for Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea for a bookmark. My 8 year old daughter is always reading several books at once so we've run out of bookmarks, your bookmark will be a massive improvement on bits of paper ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's so many possibilities! And good for your daughter - we are both big readers and always have loads on the go too xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...