Tuesday 26 February 2013

... and an "Attempt" at a Craft Room

One of my favourite things to look at on Pinterest is other people's craft rooms. I live in a constant state of admiration and envy. I thought if I planned to do a post on mine, it would encourage me to sort out my stuff and have a general tidy up. It is now my favourite room in our house (of course!!) 


We bought our house last summer and until we need the spare bedroom for any future additions (Mally is not convinced a brother or sister is that necessary!!), I was determined to have a space to myself that I could call a craft room. It is the smallest room ever (approx 2m X 2.5m) butI have managed to ram all of my craft crap stash into it. 

So as others have done so before me (and oh so much better!) here are a few pictures showcasing what I have done so far...(because we are never really finished are we?!):

My sewing machine cover is based on a design from Amanda Carestio's Stash Happy Felt
Inspiration boards - all my magazine clippings for collage etc. go straight into the plastic wallet. The Weaving Stick Dollie is there because I really, really love her! And of course Pretty Pins to use on the boards!
Paint Swatch Coasters + Felt Sewing Kit + brand new brushes that I blatantly bought for their colour!!!!
The hanging buckets are from IKEA. They need to be covered and/or painted as it wont do that they are red!
The suitcase was £2 from a charity shop. It has all the big bits of fabric, and also a bag inside for all of the smaller scraps. The bin is a bin (funny enough!) that has old T-shirts, tea towels, and any other clothing items that may have up-cycling potential. I would love to be able to organise and display the fabrics so I can find what I need more easily but a) I am too scared that they would get sun bleached or paint splattered and b) I'm terribly messy...!
This is my bin of "acquired" wallpaper samples. Dunc is brilliant at getting these for me! Because you never know when you will need them. Like when making Handmade Books!
Various storage baskets, boxes etc. All of my paper is in a big A3 document display wallet. It was very neatly arranged by colour at first. It needs a tidy-up now though! See the detailed post on Organising your Paper Stash
This chair is from Tesco. I bought it because it was small enough to actually fit in the room, whilst still being comfortable enough for a desk chair. Oh and its orange! All the other reviewers on the Tesco website said they had bought it for their teenagers' bedroom... Hmmmm
And for more relaxing, comfy crafting (or flipping through books and magazines) this is an IKEA chair with IKEA bathroom toiletries hanging thingy. I have wool, "how-to" leaflets and a sock monkey in here!
And finally, my memo / message board... which I've only really put on here because I found it at a car boot for £1 and it matches (sort of) my colour scheme:
So that's the tour(!) I wish I had a bigger space, but then again I know I am lucky to have a space all to myself...

I just wanted to end with a link to my most favourite room of all time. Karen from Sew Many Ways has done the most detailed post. She is brilliant at organising, making things, up-cycling and coordinating everything in. You really, really, really, have to see this... And if any of you have done your rooms up, please send me links or photos - I am totally obsessed!

15 comments:

  1. A wonderful, inspirational post - thank you -
    and happy crafting!
    Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind of you Emma! Happy Crafting to you to! xx

      Delete
  2. Fantastic room! Good use of space, and very creative.
    ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esther! That is a big compliment having looked at your pieces on your blog!!! I love the robot quilt, wish I could do that!!! xx

      Delete
  3. Over from the Sew Darn Crafty linking party. I love posts like this and drooling over other people's wonderful craft rooms. You've done s wonderful job and I'm suitable envious. I'm slowly taking over our study with all my stuff Hubby is letting me get away with things do far. ;)

    Kate from The Tales of Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I just need to actually get on with the rest of the house, and not get distracted in my craft room! Good luck with yours! xx

      Delete
  4. I'm in the process of turning our spare bedroom (only spare) into a multi-purpose room. But for now (or eventually) it will have a craft space, and once we decide to have a baby, he/she will also have their nursery in there! I totally get where you might be cramed for space!! Here is a link to my insspiration that I hope my room will look somewhat like! HA!
    http://kaylasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/2013/02/craftoffice-organization-inspiration.html

    Thanks for sharing your space. Stopping by from Polka Dots Parade link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do like some of those ideas! Bags for storage are always great (hence my suitcase!!) Good luck with your transformation - its amazing what supplies you find that you'd forgotten about!!! xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your post. I love to check pinterest for organizing craft rooms as well. One day I'll have my own! Meanwhile I take up every table in the house with one project or another...(I have an organized craft closet, though!) I'm a new follower. Happy Creating, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I persuaded my boyfriend to let me have the spare room as he was getting sick of all my projects taking over the rest of the house! (Unfortunately sometimes its nice to do stuff on the sofa in front of the TV so this hasn't gone away entirely!!) Happy Creating to you too!! xx

      Delete
  6. I think your space is wonderful! Having a space of your own, no matter what size, is so inspiring for your creativeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, it really does make a difference!! xx

      Delete
  7. Love your crafting space. I'm always looking for cute ideas, and you have some I think I will borrow. I just found you on the Sew Many Ways link up. I am a new follower and looking forward to reading some of your older posts. I actually have a fashion doll blog, so I've never linked up, but I love sewing and crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I've just spent AGES looking at your blog! Very talented!!! It looks like so much fun!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate that.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...