Friday 31 May 2013

... and a Pincushion Boat (with Trawler Net Thread Catcher!)

Ahoy there! Today's post has a nautical theme.... with a boat pin cushion and thread catcher.
If there was a prize for messiest sewer, I'd definitely be in the running. Despite my best efforts, I always end up with threads all over the floor and pins stuck randomly in cushions, jeans etc. So whilst sorting out my new craft room(!) making a pin cushion and thread catcher seemed like a sensible idea!


To make your own version, you will need.....

Materials
  • Assorted Felt
  • Twine
  • Fabric scrap
  • Knitting needles
  • Stuffing material
  • General sewing materials
I found a great boat pattern which I used as a template to cut the pieces of felt to size, then sewed them together using a blanket stitch.
To stuff the boat, I chose a variety of materials including wire wool (to keep pins and needles sharp), toy stuffing and rice (at the bottom to give it weight).
As I wanted it to look vaguely (!?) like a trawler boat, I stuffed and sewed another piece of felt onto the top. For a bit of extra decoration, I added some needle felted waves to the bottom. (You can see our other needle felting post here)
I then went onto the thread catcher - I wanted to make look like a net being towed along by the boat. For this I used a 22 x 15cm piece of blue cotton and hemmed the top with a 2cm allowance.
To give the top some stability and help keep it open, I used a plastic parcel tie (is that what it's called?!?) to thread through the hem. Then turned inside out and sewed the sides and bottom together.
At this point, it was looking a bit plain... so I decided to knit a net using size 10 needles and twine!
I wrapped this around the fabric, secured by sewing to the fabric on the inside hem and used a wool needle to sew the sides and bottom together using twine.  
I made the ropes by plaiting together twine and then cut out some felt fish to finish it off! I decided not to attach the net permanently to the boat as I can then use each piece separately and it can also fit in different places - for example next to my sewing machine!

So now I have no excuse for making a mess and just need to tackle the rest of the 'organised chaos' in my craft room!!

5th June 2013: Update - this post was featured here at Vintage Zest and here at Sugar Bee Crafts


Visit thecsiproject.com
 
10th March 2014: Update - this post was featured here by the Sewing Loft

19 comments:

  1. Your thread-catcher is a great idea! I need this, too...
    Best wishes,
    Susann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks susann, it certainly comes in handy! x

      Delete
  2. Amazing!!!So creative idea!!!I love it!
    hugs
    http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative and beautiful
    Greetings from Bulgaria!!!
    http://scentofstyl.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome & thanks for your lovely comment!! x

      Delete
  4. Such a cute, cute, cute idea. My boys would love to add these to their sewing collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure it would make a great addition to a sewing collection :) x

      Delete
  5. This is just adorable! Creative, functional and cute!!! Love it!
    I hope you will link up to The CSI Project starting tonight. The challenge this week is "Life at the Beach" and do anything beach, summer, nautical is encouraged.
    Come on over!
    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the invite, I have now linked up to your CSI Project!! Great topic :) x

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for featuring this post Mandy! Have added a link back to you on the post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute! Thanks for linking up the Upcycled Linky Party at http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2013/06/upcycled-linky-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet as anything. Thanks for sharing. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea. Love this so much more than the tomato pin pillow. Thanks for linking up with us for Fabulously Frugal Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Although I like the idea of a tomato pin cushion as well! x

      Delete
  10. That's an adorable project - especially love the thread catcher. Any chance you might do a future post about that lovely sewing machine? I have one that looks very similar and have such a hard time navigating the threading. Would love to see a walk-through from someone who uses theirs regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment! My machine is a New Home model from my mum & I agree the threading can be tricky :) Here's a link to an online manual, which may help? x http://archive.org/details/NewHome539SewingMachineOwnersManual

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...