Tuesday 25 June 2013

... and a Make Up Bag

For part of my Mum's birthday present, I decided that I wanted to make her a make up bag. I had it all planned out in my head, chosen the fabric/colours etc.... but then suddenly I realised I only had one day left and I had never tried sewing a zip before... eek!
Luckily all was not lost, as I found this great tutorial by Noodlehead which gives really clear instructions on adding a lining and a zip. I tweaked this slightly for my version, and here's what I did...



Materials:
  • Fabric (4 pieces of 9.5" x 6.5")
  • 8" zip
  • Sewing Materials
  • Decoration of choice
For the outside, I chose a wool mix grey fabric and then a cotton floral pattern for the lining. As the outside fabric was quite thick it didn't need any lining, but you could line any thinner fabric with something like fleece to give it more 'structure'. Each piece was 9.5" x 6.5", to allow for a 0.5" seam allowance all the way round.
To add the zip, place the zip face down on the right side of the exterior fabric then place the lining right side down on top. Pin and sew along the top. Using a zipper foot would probably work best, but I couldn't find mine and managed OK with the regular foot!
Move the two sewn pieces out of the way and keep together. Then lay the other outside piece right side up and line up the zip - face down with the pull tab on the right. Place the lining on top (right side down), then pin and sew.
You are left with the two outside/lining pieces joined together, which you can top stitch either side of the zip. At this stage I added some decoration to the front, as thought it would be easier before sewing everything together. I went with a layered flower design using felt, the lining fabric and of course a button!
The final stage is pin the two outside pieces to each other, right sides together, then repeat for the lining (the zip is hidden in the middle). Sew all around the edge with a 1/2" seam allowance leaving approx 3" opening at the bottom of the lining so that you can turn everything back on itself.
Once everything is turned back the right way, sew the lining closed by hand with a slip stitch. As a final embellishment I added a tassel to the zip.... and there you have your finished bag!
 Despite having left this all to the last minute, I was pleased with the way it turned out and I am now over my fear of sewing zips!!

PS: Don't forget you can find us on Bloglovin by clicking here... Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Update 26th June 13: This post has been featured by And Sew It Goes

15 comments:

  1. Neat bag and well done on conquering zips! Would love it if you linked up to my New to Me link party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's no stopping me with zips now ;) Have linked up to your New to Me party x

      Delete
  2. Great job on the zip pouch,it is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is way cute! Come share it over here http://www.theprincessandhercowboys.com/2013/07/on-display-monday-8.html

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britney! Have been over to share on your linky party :) x

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I am following you at Sugar Bee Crafts. That looks awesome. Isn't it great that we can learn anything from the web. Well done.

    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com Author of Tadeo Turtle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janis! I often wonder how I coped before Google came along :) x

      Delete
  5. Fantastic make up bag and really clear instructions too - I've not attempted zips yet, but I'll know where to look when I'm ready to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, I'm glad you liked it! Good luck with the zips! x

      Delete
  6. Great tutorial! You can never have too many make-up bags! I’d love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up! Starts on the 1st of each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the invite Chelsea! x

      Delete
  7. Very cute!! TFS!! I love makeup bags too!! TFS!! Stopping by from Sugar and Dots linky party and a new follower.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2013/06/update-and-es-lounge-pants.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial-I've wanted to sew one of these for a long time. My girlfriend gave me one that was decorated with handmade sewn felt flowers. Wonderful! (Sharon)

    Thanks for sharing on the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT.

    Sharon and Denise ♥
    Fashion | Food | Beauty | Out & About | Morning Coffee

    Follow us:
    Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Bloglovin ~ Pinterest

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...