Our course ran from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon and we were part of a great group of 6 people. In preparation for our course, we were asked to bring along 6-8 images that inspired us along with a selection of fabrics, threads and interesting materials. As we both have quite a collection of 'materials' it was tough to narrow our choices down and ended up taking far too much as usual - better safe than sorry though!!.
We started with drawing exercises with different media and techniques to help us really look at the texture and form of our images. These consisted of:
- Continuous line drawing (without taking the pen off the paper)
- Left handed drawing
- Drawing with both left and right hands simultaneously
- Drawing by looking at the image, but not the sketchpad
- Eyes closed drawing from memory
- Using 2 pens taped together (to add depth)
- Free motion machine embroidery (straight and zigzag stitch)
- Couching wool and thicker threads for texture and depth
Then onto our final pieces of artwork....
I knew I wanted to do an underwater themed piece and had several images with me. I thought it would be a starfish, however after the various drawing techniques, I realised that I was really drawn to the jellyfish.
I had originally planned to do something based on trees or leaves, but as time went on I realised that the image I wanted to focus on was my photo of a wild geranium flower. My piece was built up by first painting the shape white (to make sure the blue shades were vibrant enough) then adding different shades of watered down acrylics.
I had backed my front piece of fabric with a darker shade of green, so this allowed me to use reverse applique for the leaves. I also added other leaves using 'normal' applique to try and give the impression of depth. The wool stems were attached with machine couching - which was a new technique to me as well!
Here are the art pieces from the others in our group - aren't they fab!