Tuesday 19 November 2013

... and a Lavender Heat Pad

I spent time over the weekend sorting the lavender that I had dried from the summer.... It was a bit time consuming, but all that lavender meant I was very relaxed by the end!! Plus I now have a big bag of dried lavender.... so used some to make this heat pad!
There are lots of variations on a theme on how to make heat pads/ lavender bags, but here's how I made my version...

Start by cutting two rectangles of fabric - mine were 7.5" by 4" and made from old T-towels!
Place the two pieces right sides together, sew around the edges with a 1/4" seam allowance making sure that you leave an open gap (approx 2" wide).
Turn everything back the right way and ease out each of the corners.... I found a knitting needle worked well for this!
On Pinterest I've seen people choose a wide range of fillings for heat pads, but I chose rice (mainly because there was an out of date bag at the back of the cupboard!!). A funnel would probably help at this stage - but I couldn't find one - so a spoon had to do!
I'd recommend filling the bag about 3/4 full, so that it's still a bit 'floppy' and not full to bursting. To seal up the bag I decided to top stich all the way round the bag. In my head that would also make it more sturdy and keep the rice in??
To heat it up I put in the microwave for about 20 secs which is enough to make it nice and toasty as well as releasing the lavender scent! It can also be turned into an ice pack by putting in the freezer to cool down.

[Health & Safety disclaimer - keep a close eye when you put it in the microwave and try a few seconds at a time as each microwave is different!]
My lavender heat pad now lives on my bedside table and even just a quick squeeze makes the room smell lovely! This was a really quick project too, so I may just have to make a couple more as pressies .. perhaps in time for Christmas?!


5th December 2013: Update - this post was featured here at Crafts a la Mode
 photo grabbutton2_zps7d635a69.png

16 comments:

  1. I have a wheat filled heat pack and it is a life saver. Mine wasn't scented but I do add the odd drop of lavendar oil on it every now and then for the wonderful smell. Thanks for sharing how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to add lavender oil. I'll have to try that for a double hit of lavender!! x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your tutorial. I was going to make some lavendar hearts to hang in my wardrobe but might have to try these out too, especially if I can freeze and heat :)
    ps visiting from Handmade Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & welcome Tracey! You could always make hearts & fill with rice - so they're dual purpose?! x

      Delete
  3. I love the scent of lavender! Good tutorial too - I made rice filled handwarmers for my friends last Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lavender as well! I'm sure your friends loved their handwarmers x

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I'm going to pin to the homemade gift idea board as soon as Pinterest is back up! I don't know what's going on with it this morning! :) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! I'm glad Pinterest is working now, I think I would be lost without it ;) Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving x

      Delete
  5. Thanks. I've wondered what is inside these little guys.. Rice!! Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marni! You can also fill them with other things like wheat, lentils etc - just depends what you have to hand! x

      Delete
  6. Hey! I just made some lavender cold therapy bags. Great minds think alike :) Yours came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this but found that the bag had moisture in it when I pulled it out of the microwave. The bottom of the bag was wet but dried quickly?? Anyone know how to prevent this or why??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I've not come across that happening with mine.... could the lavender have still been a bit damp?? Sorry to not be more help!! x

      Delete
  8. OH my gosh, this came at the perfect time... my daughter (up in Oregon) called to ask me what she could use as a heating pad, in the absence of a hot water bottle! I was going to get online and find something on Amazon to send her, but I love this idea better! I will "whip" one up this afternoon, and send her a little care package. Of course, this will take longer than I thought... just finding the perfect color for my daughter will be a week-long project! But I needed the inspiration, and have a bag of rice in my cupboard, just begging to be used! In the meantime, I will send her a few bucks to buy a hot-water bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, I'm so glad it helped with a bit of inspiration! I'm sure your daughter will love you making one for her. Plus it smells nicer than a hot water bottle too ;) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...